Electrician Classes in Kansas (Top Schools)

Search Electrician Programs

Get information on Electrician programs by entering your zip code and request enrollment information.

Sponsored Listings
Kansas map

Electricians have a very stable occupation all over the country.

Job Outlook in Kansas

The job market for electricians is expected to grow in Kansas by 12.5% by 2022, a more modest growth than in other states.

Electricians in Kansas earn on average $44,896 per year, while the average salary around the country is of $47,951 per year.

Those earning the most make in Kansas about $51,159 annually, while the national salary is of $54,640 per year.

Annual Salary Range:

Average Salary of Electricians in Kansas

City NameSalary
Overland Park$46,989
Kansas City$47,133
* Salary information last updated 2022

Working as an Electrician

To work as an electrician you need a license, and each city or county issues their own, however, you can work throughout the state for the standards are very similar.

Follow these steps to become an electrician:

  • Become an apprentice
  • Pass the exam to become a journeyman
  • Become a master electrician for your area
  • Become an independent electrical contractor.

Becoming an Apprentice

While each municipal or county licensing body sets the rules for how the license is earned in their jurisdiction, there are some state-wide regulations that must be followed.

  • Every municipality must oversee an exam covering the National Electrical Code (NEC)
  • Applicants must prove they have a minimum of 2 years of experience on the job under the supervision of a licensed electrician
  • Applicants need 240 hours of classroom education

There are 2 ways to obtain the journeyman license:

  1. Enroll directly into an apprenticeship program that will provide both the work experience and the classroom education hours – 4,000 (2 years) and 240 hours, respectively.
  2. Or attend a trade school (or community college) for the classroom educational requirement and accumulate 1 year (2,000 hours) of work experience.

You’ll have to check the regulations for your area, as there might be different requirements and even different licenses you could obtain.

For instance, in Topeka, you can get a license for low voltage systems which doesn’t require the accumulation of hours mentioned above.

In Wichita, for example, you can get licensed as a general electrician, residential wireman, elevator installer, or alarm wiring installer, and you need both the education and the field experience to qualify.

Another example is Wyandotte County where there’s no license for journeymen, and you go straight for the master electrician license, after the apprenticeship period.

Trade Schools or Community Colleges

By attending a trade school or a community college you’ll be able to earn an Associate of Applied Science in Electrical Technology or a certificate and you’ll also earn the required classroom hours.

If you choose to go this route, know that this education counts as 1 year of on the job experience, and you’ll only have to work 1 year under the supervision of a journeyman or master electrician in order to get your own journeyman license.

These are some of the topics you’ll study in school:

  • Electromechanical systems
  • Electrical math
  • OSHA safety
  • Print reading
  • Workplace skills
  • National Electrical Code (NEC)
  • Troubleshooting techniques
  • AC/DC circuits
  • Residential and commercial wiring I
  • Electrical circuits, instruments, and measurements
  • Motor controls
  • Programmable controllers

You’ll be responsible for finding your own entry-level job for gaining the required field experience.

It is possible to receive help from your school in finding an entry-level position though you can also contact unions and Independent Electrical Contractors (IEC) for this purpose.

19 Electrician Schools in Kansas

School NameAddress
Coffeyville Community400 West 11th Street Coffeyville, KS
Dodge City Community College and Area Technical Center2501 North 14th Avenue Dodge City, KS 67801
Hutchinson Community College1300 North Plum Hutchinson, KS 67501
IEC of Kansas City8820 Northeast 108th Street Kansas City, MO 64157
JATC of Hutchinson Electrical427 North Main Street Hutchinson, KS 67501
JATC of Topeka Electrical1620 Northwest Gage Topeka, KS 66618
JATC of Wichita810 West 13th Street North Wichita, KS 67203
Labette Community College200 South 14th Street Parsons, KS 67357
Kansas City Kansas Community College7250 State Avenue Kansas City, KS 66112
North Central Kansas Tech (NCK Tech) — Beloit Campus3033 US Highway 24 Beloit, KS 67420
North Central Kansas Tech (NCK Tech) — Hays Campus2205 Wheatland Avenue Hays, Kansas 67601
Northwest Kansas Technical College1209 Harrison Avenue Goodland, KS 67735
Pittsburg State University1701 S. Broadway Street Pittsburg, KS
Pratt Community College348 Northeast SR 61 Pratt, KS 67124
Salina Area Technical College2562 Centennial Road, Salina, KS 67401
Vatterott Educational Centers8853 East 37th Street North, Wichita, KS 67226
Washburn Institute of Technology5724 Southwest Huntoon, Topeka, KS 66604
Wichita Area Tech4004 North Webb Road, Wichita, KS 67226
Wichita Chapter IEC914 East Gilbert, Wichita, KS 67211

Apprenticeship Programs

It seems that non-union apprenticeship is the best option for entry-level positions, to gain the required number of hours for the journeyman license.

Check out the list of schools for both unions and non-unions apprenticeship programs.

General requirements to apply:

  • Be at least 17 years old to apply, and 18 by the time you are selected for the program
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or if unavailable, a 2-year associate’s degree
  • Prove you passed an algebra class
  • Hold a valid driver’s license
  • Score at least 4 on an aptitude test (covers reading comprehension and algebra skills)
  • Be physically capable of working in the industry

Union apprenticeships mean you’ll be provided with a position that you must accept.

Be wary that non-union apprenticeships have different requirements to be accepted, as follows:

  • Birth certificate (copy)
  • High school or GED Diploma and transcript
  • Copy of DD214 form (valid only for veterans)
  • College or other trade school transcripts if you have them

You’re responsible to find merit shop contractors on your own and apply for the program.

Become a Journeyman

Once your apprenticeship period is completed, you can apply to become a licensed journeyman for your area.

Let’s look at the specific requirements for some of the areas.

Sedgwick County/Wichita

To get your license as a journeyman in this area, complete the apprenticeship and sit through an exam.

Other requirements:

  • At least 2 years of experience on the job (or one year with the completion of a qualifying trade school program)
  • A copy of the transcript from the school attended
  • Scoring at least 75% on the International Code Council Exam

The license is issued by the Sedgwick County Metropolitan Area Building and Construction Department, where you must apply.

The exam is called “558 Kansas (Sedgwick County) Standard Journeyman Electrician” exam, lasts for 4 hours, is made of 80 questions with more possible answers, and open book.

The 2014 National Electrical Code and any edition of Ugly’s Electrical Reference are allowed in the examination room.

Topic breakdown:

  • Wiring Methods and Materials – 26%
  • Branch Circuits and Conductors – 20%
  • Services and Service Equipment – 13%
  • Equipment and Devices – 13%
  • Special Occupancies, Equipment, and Conditions – 11%
  • General Knowledge – 8%
  • Motors and Generators – 5%
  • Control Devices – 3%
  • Feeders – 3%

Your license must be renewed every 2 years, and there’s a requirement of 12 hours of continued education as well if you get the license in the first year of the cycle, and just 6 hours if you get it in the 2nd year of the cycle.

You can become a master electrician after 2 years of experience as a journeyman.


In Topeka, you need to complete 2 years of apprenticeship under a licensed electrician, and you also need to score over 75% on the “558 Kansas Standard Journeyman Electrician” exam.

The exam is the same as above, but it lasts just 3 hours, and you can bring the same books as above to consult with.

Topic breakdown:

  • Wiring Methods and Materials – 26%
  • Branch Circuits and Conductors – 19%
  • Equipment and Devices – 13%
  • Special Occupancies, Equipment, and Conditions – 11%
  • Services and Service Equipment – 11%
  • General Knowledge – 6%
  • Motors and Generators – 6%
  • Feeders – 4%
  • Control Devices – 4%

Call the Topeka Development Services Division at 785-368-3704 to find out if you passed or not.

If you pass, makes sure to renew your license every year after you completed the continued education of 6 hours, with 3 of them covering any updates to electrical code.

Wyandotte County/Kansas City

If you live in this area, you can’t earn a journeyman license, but a master residential electrician instead.


  • Proof of working 2 years under an electrical contractor
  • Scoring over 75% on the exam.

After you apply for the exam, the Building Inspection Division of Kansas City’s Neighborhood Resource Center has to send you a notification with at least 30 days before the exam.

The exam is 4 hours long, open book, and has 100 questions.

You can only consult the 2014 National Electrical Code.

Breakdown of the topics:

  • Grounding and Bonding – 16%
  • Motors and Controls – 12%
  • General Electrical Knowledge – 10%
  • Raceways and Enclosures – 10%
  • Services, Feeders and Branch Circuits – 10%
  • Equipment for General Use – 9%
  • Conductors and Cables – 9%
  • Low Voltage and Communication Circuits – 6%
  • Overcurrent Protection – 5%
  • Special Occupancies – 5%
  • Special Equipment and Conditions – 5%
  • Safety – 3%

While you’ll have to renew your license every year, you don’t need to continue your education.

Earn the Master Electrician Certificate (License)

As a master electrician, you can get permission to perform work on residential properties.

Sedgwick County/Wichita

In this region, you’ll need 2 years of journeyman experience and to pass the Master Electrician International Code Council Exam.

You’ll have to apply for the exam and you’ll be notified if you get accepted.

The “554 Kansas (Sedgwick County) Standard Master Electrician” exam lasts for 5 hours, has 100 questions with multiple choices and you can consult the 2014 National Electrical Code as well as any edition of Ugly’s Electrical Reference.

Question breakdown:

  • Wiring Methods and Materials – 19%
  • Services and Service Equipment – 16%
  • Branch Circuits and Conductors – 16%
  • Special Occupancies, Equipment, and Conditions – 12%
  • General Knowledge and Plan Reading – 12%
  • Equipment and Devices – 10%
  • Motors and Generators – 8%
  • Feeders – 4%
  • Control Devices – 3%

You’ll have to renew your license, and the same rules apply as for the journeyman license.


In this region, you must score over 75% on the “K9D Kansas Standard Master Electrician” exam, which lasts for 5 hours, has 100 questions and is open book.

The breakdown of the subjects and the books you can bring are the same as for Sedgwick County/Wichita.

The rules to renew your license are the same ones as for the journeyman license for this region.

Wyandotte County/Kansas City

The license you’ll earn in this region is for a master residential electrician.

To earn this license in this region, you must:

  • Prove 1 year of planning, supervising, and installation of electrical equipment
  • Prove 3 years of practical experience under the supervision of an electrical contractor or master electrician
  • Prove 2 years of experience in commercial or industrial work
  • Score over 75% on the master electrician exam

If your application is approved, you’ll be notified with at least 30 days before the exam which is 4 hours and 100 questions long.

You’re also allowed to consult the 2014 issue of the National Electrical Code.

Topic breakdown:

  • Grounding and Bonding – 16%
  • Motors and Controls – 12%
  • General Electrical Knowledge – 10%
  • Raceways and Enclosures – 10%
  • Services, Feeders and Branch Circuits – 10%
  • Conductors and Cables – 9%
  • Equipment for General Use – 9%
  • Low Voltage and Communication Circuits – 6%
  • Overcurrent Protection – 5%
  • Special Occupancies – 5%
  • Special Equipment and Conditions – 5%
  • Safety – 3%

While you must renew this license every year, you don’t need to continue your education.

Earn Your License as an Independent Electrical Contractor

You can’t run a business nor service the public of Kansas without the independent electrical contractor license.

Sedgwick County

Several trades in this county can earn a variety of licenses:

  • Class A General license – allows work on commercial spaces too
  • Class C Residential License – for work on residences
  • Class D Maintenance License – for work on residences


The Wichita/Sedgwick County Unified Building and Trade Code might require the applicant to pass an exam, though it is common to just prove enough experience and training.

This license expired every 2 years, and you must renew it by the end of February of the year it expires in.


To earn this license in Topeka, you either must score over 75% in the master level exam or to hire a master electrician who doesn’t have the same position for another firm.

Scoring over 75% on one of three building contractor exams is also required, as well as paying $300,000 as insurance for injuries, damages, and worker’s compensation.

You must renew this license every year after completing 8 hours of continued education and proving it.

Wyandotte County/Kansas City

In this county, you can earn one of the following licenses:

  • Master Electrical Contractor
  • Master Residential Electrical Contractor

You’ll first have to apply for a Certification of Qualification that will, in turn, prove you employ at least 1 licensed electrical master, even if you’re your own employee.

Requirements valid for both licenses:

  • Submission of a bond of $5,000 to the county government
  • Evidence of financial responsibility – it is determined by the county government
  • A designated master electrician or master residential electrician, based on which contractor license you are applying for.

If you need more details, you can ask them at the Neighborhood Resource Center.

State FlagElectrician Schools by City